Appointment with diabetes nurse
Diabetes nurses counsel patients suffering from type I and II and gestational diabetes and, if necessary, their family members and support persons.
At the appointment, the nature of diabetes and its possible health effects are discussed with the patient as well as the principles of a healthy diet in the case of being overweight and the active phase of the disease itself. They are taught to recognise the state of low blood sugar and the necessary first aid measures.
In addition, practical skills are taught, such as:
- blood sugar control with a glucometer (if necessary, we provide it free of charge) and a glucose sensor;
- installation of a glucose sensor (must be with the patient), its use and evaluation of blood sugar readings;
- injection technique and assessment of the effect of insulin therapy;
- adjustment of insulin doses according to various factors (e.g. pregnancy, physical exertion, diet, illness).
A referral from a midwife, family doctor or specialist is required to come for an appointment.
Appointments can be booked:
- ITK patient portal iPatsient
- the national digital register www.digilugu.ee
- by phone 666 1900 Mon-Fri 7:15-18:00
- at the reception